This Gingersnap White Chocolate Cracker Toffee is easy to throw together made with lots of butter, brown sugar, gingerbread cookies, and white chocolate.
I can not believe Christmas is Wednesday.
So not ready.
I mean the shopping is done (nothing is wrapped) but I still have a long list of things that aren’t going to get done.
Holiday cards aren’t getting done this year.
I realized with my mom not coming that I would be in charge of making a lot of the Christmas cookies that she always brings with her already made.
Many of the cookies she brings I won’t be making due to time.
But I’ll be making Russian Tea Cakes this week along with my usuals.
What are my usuals?
Though the recipe I made this year was for the cookbook so you won’t see it on here.
However I do plan on making another one before the week is up that will go up here.
Sugar cookies which I make every year and is the cookie we leave out for Santa…yes, I still do that. 🙂
And a form of cracker toffee.
This year its Gingersnap White Chocolate Cracker Toffee.
The first time I ever made cracker toffee for the blog was December 2006.
I found it in a book called The Sweet Potato Queens’ Big-Ass Cookbook (and Financial Planner).
Never had heard of it before.
The original recipe used Saltine crackers which I switched years ago to Keebler Club Crackers because they are buttery.
But I ended up with several boxes of Saltines lately and used those for this toffee and it works fine.
I added just a little bit of gingerbread spice to brown sugar and butter mix but feel free to add a little more if you are a big spice fan.
You can use either gingersnaps or gingerbread man cookies.
It also could work well with milk chocolate as well if you are not a fan of white chocolate.
Easy to make for any last minute holiday treats you want to make.
P.S. It’s a great day to buy my cookbook Holy Sweet!
Want More Cracker Toffee Recipes?
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. gingerbread spice
- Enough crackers to make a layer on a cookie sheet (I use Saltine Crackers because they are buttery and rectangular), about 2 sleeves of crackers
- 1 12-ounce bag of white chocolate chips
- 8 oz. toffee pieces (I used Heath Bit O'Brickle)
- 1 1/2 cups gingersnaps or gingerbread cookies, crushed
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Line a cookie sheet with foil (this is a must).
- Bring the butter, gingerbread spice, and brown sugar to a boil in a saucepan and simmer it for about 5 minutes.
- Put a layer of crackers on the cookie sheet, close together.
- Pour the brown sugar mixture over the crackers and bake for about 6-10 minutes (I do 10).
- Remove and immediately pour the white chocolate chips over the crackers, evenly distributing them. Let sit for about 30 seconds.
- Then with the back of a spatula I move the white chocolate chips just a little bit. I wait another 30 seconds and repeat.
- I start to slowly move the chocolate around being careful not to move the crackers.
- I let is sit for another 30 seconds and at this point it pretty much spreads like frosting.
- It still gets messy…it’s fine.
- Top with toffee and gingersnap pieces.
- Firm up in fridge for about 30 minutes and then break into pieces.