These Hot Buttered Rum Pudding Shots are made with vanilla pudding, spiced rum, butter rum lifesavers, butter, and milk.
These Hot Buttered Rum Pudding Shots help continue my obsession with all things buttered rum.
It seems like every holiday season I get fixated on a flavor.
This year that flavor is hot buttered rum.
As a kid I LOVED getting the Butter Rum Lifesavers in my stocking.
It was back in the day when the Lifesaver book had a variety of flavors, unlike now where they are just the original five flavors.
Most kids didn’t seem to like the flavor and so I always happily took anyones who didn’t want theirs.
Still do to this day.
- Sonic Vanilla Shake Instant Pudding: Can you use just plain vanilla pudding? Technically, yes. But the vanilla shake pudding that they make is just perfect for this.
- Butter Rum Lifesavers: If you are here for the recipe, I’m assuming you or someone you know likes hot buttered rum. I used Butter Rum Lifesavers. If you can’t find them, the butterscotch discs that Brach’s makes can also work.
- Milk: You need to use whole milk for this recipe. The pudding needs to be extra creamy and skim or 2% just won’t do it.
- Butter: There is actual butter in the shots. I have made it with and without and find that the butter does add to the butter rum flavor. The part of the butter rises to the top when the infused milk is chilling. So if you want to skip it, just remove the solids out of the milk before mixing in with the pudding.
- Fresh Ground Nutmeg: If you have not gotten yourself a nutmeg grinder yet, you totally need one. I use mine all the time as nutmeg is my go to spice.
- Ground Cinnamon: I used a Ceylon cinnamon which is a milder cinnamon. If you want a stronger cinnamon feel free to use it.
- Spiced Rum: Any spiced rum will do. I wouldn’t use the good stuff for pudding shots. But that’s up to you. You can use regular rum but I find spiced works best for this recipe.
- Cool Whip: People groan at this usually. But Cool Whip is what works best. I have tried making pudding shots with real whipped cream and they just don’t work out.
Tips For Making Pudding Shots:
- Remember when using any alcohol that is more than 80 proof can make your pudding shots runny. Most vodkas run at 80 proof and that is usually the highest alcohol content booze I use so you should be fine. But always good to check.
- Don’t skip the Cool Whip.
- Many people ask can they use whipped cream instead.
Yes, you can.
However, make sure that you do not use the kind out of a can. That will not hold up.
I’ve always made mine with Cool Whip just because I feel it holds it shape better in pudding shots.
- Be sure to chill them for at least 30 minutes.
While I say to chill them for at least 30 minutes I usually end up chilling them for much longer.
- Often I make up the pudding the night before and place it into an airtight container and then scoop the day of the party. Saves time on the day of the party.
P.S. It’s a great day to buy my cookbook Holy Sweet!
Want More Pudding Shots?
- For the Butter Rum LIfesaver Infused Milk:
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 TBSP salted butter
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 15 Butter Rum Lifesavers (or butter rum hard candy)
- For the Pudding Shots:
- 3.4 oz Sonic Instant Vanilla Shake Pudding
- 1 1/2 cups Butter Rum Lifesaver infused whole milk
- 1/2 cup spiced rum
- 8 oz Cool Whip (thawed)
- crushed Butter Rum Lifesavers as garnish
- whipped cream as garnish
- For the Infused Butter Rum LIfesaver Milk:
- Using a medium saucepan heat the milk, butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, and Butter Rum Lifesavers together.
- Bring to a boil and then take off of heat.
- The Butter Rum Lifesavers should dissolve.
- If the Lifesavers do not dissolve place over heat and stir until it does. Set aside.
- Place in fridge to chill for at least 3 hours.
- The butter in the milk will rise to the top and become solid again, that is normal.
- For the Pudding Shots:
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the pudding mix, butter from the top of the infused milk and 1/2 cup of the infused milk. Whisk until fully combined.
- Then add the remaining cup of infused milk and spiced rum.
- Whisk together until it starts to get thick, about 3 minutes.
- Fold in the thawed Cool Whip.
- Then whisk until smooth.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place in fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Evenly divide the pudding between shot cups.
- Scoop two small ice cream scoops into the shot cups.
- Top with whipped cream and crushed Butter Rum Lifesavers for garnish.