This Strawberry Shortcake Bread Pudding is a twist on the ice cream bar and even uses strawberry ice cream in the bread pudding custard.
“This post and recipe was created for #SummerDessertWeek! I was sent samples by some of the sponsor companies but as always opinions, bad grammar, and overuse of emoji’s are 100% mine.”
For this particular post I used Dixie Crystals Sugar which I received for free to use in this recipe but no financial compensation was provided.
We are on day four of Summer Dessert Week and today I offer up Strawberry Shortcake Bread Pudding.
Now perhaps you are thinking strawberry shortcake with fresh strawberries and a biscuit or sponge cake.
But I’m talking about the Good Humor Ice Cream Bar…Strawberry Shortcake.
Which is why this bread pudding uses strawberry ice cream in the custard base and in the sauce.
And uses freeze dried strawberries instead of fresh.
Partially because that is what the ice cream uses and partially because fresh fruit goes bad quicker than freeze dried.
On top of the bread pudding is a sauce made of strawberry ice cream, frozen strawberries (you can use fresh), and milk.
Then it’s all topped with a crumb topping made from pulverized Vienna Fingers cookies and freeze dried strawberries.
Top all that with strawberry whipped cream.
And you have yourself a real winner.
P.S. It’s a great day to buy my cookbook Holy Sweet!
Want More Bread Pudding Recipes?
- For the Bread Pudding:
- 8- 10 cups Challah bread or Brioche, torn into pieces, getting stale
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 whole eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 cups melted strawberry ice cream
- 1/2 cup freeze dried strawberries
- For the Sauce:
- 1 cup melted strawberry ice cream
- 5 frozen strawberries
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- For the Crumb Topping:
- 1/3 cup freeze dried strawberries (not crushed)
- 10 Vienna Fingers
- For the Strawberry Whipped Cream:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup freeze dried strawberries, crushed
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Rip 1/2 the Challah or brioche into pieces and place into a baking dish that has been sprayed with baking spray or lightly coated in butter. I use a 9-x-9 inch pan but you can use an 8-x-8-inch or 10-x-10-inch pan, basically whatever pan will hold the amount of bread you have.
- Mix the egg yolks, eggs, sugar, and salt together in a bowl.
- Then whisk in the heavy cream and melted ice cream and beat until fully incorporated.
- Add in the crushed freeze dried strawberries and mix best you can. They tend to float to the top. Don't worry about it.
- Pour half the custard over the bread.
- Press down the bread pieces with your hands until the bread is soaked with the custard.
- Add the remaining bread pieces.
- Then pour the remaining custard over the bread.
- You may have extra custard depending on how stale your bread is. Don’t feel like you have to use all the custard.
- Place pan into another pan that will hold a water bath.
- Bake the bread pudding covered with foil for 45 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for another 15 minutes until golden brown.
- Cool for 10 minutes and serve warm.
- For the Sauce:
- In a small saucepan heat the mixture up until it gets warm.
- Add to a blender and puree.
- Add more milk if too thick. Remember this is going to be a pourable sauce.
- Set aside.
- For the Crumb Topping:
- In a food processor add the cookies and freeze dried strawberries. Pulse until the for a very small crumb. The whole mixture should be pinkish due to the strawberries.
- Set aside.
- For the Whipped Cream:
- Using a stand mixer with the whisk attachment beat heavy cream to medium stiff peaks.
- Add the powdered sugar and freeze dried strawberries and whip until stiff peaks form.
- To assemble the bread pudding:
- Cut out a piece of bread pudding.
- Top with some sauce.
- Then sprinkle some crumbs on top.
- Add some whipped cream.
- And sprinkle more crumbs on that.
Check out the amazing #SummerDessertWeek recipes from our bloggers today!
Peanut Butter Cheesecake Pie from Big Bear’s Wife
Limeade Honey Fruit Salad from Semi Homemade Recipes
No Churn Cake Batter Ice Cream from 4 Sons ‘R’ Us
Twix Cookies from Devour Dinner
Strawberry Crunch Cheesecake Cones from SugarYums
Blueberry Cobbler from Food Hunter’s Guide to Cuisine
Strawberry Shortcake Bread Pudding from Sweet ReciPEAs
Roasted Blueberry Pull-apart Loaf from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
Lemon Lime Filled Cupcakes from Cookaholic Wife
Welcome to this year’s #SummerDessertWeek event hosted by Angie from Big Bear’s Wife.
You’re going to be in for a treat this year because we have 28 blogs/bloggers creating summer themed dessert recipes all week! We’re sharing them with the hashtag #SummerDessertWeek on social media and you’ll find some of the links in this post as well. Plus, we also have some great giveaways for you this week thanks to our amazing sponsors!
Scroll down to take a look!
Dixie Crystals is giving away 1 (one) 4.2 Quart (4 Liter) Electric Air Fryer
Giveaway open to US Residents 18 years or older.
All entries will be verified. No PO Boxes Please. Prizes will be sent directly from sponsors to winners, bloggers are not responsible for prizes. This giveaway runs from July 26th until July 31st at 11:59PMEST. Winners will be selected soon afterwards and contacted by e-mail. Winners will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen. There are a total of 2 (two) prizes and therefore we will have a total of 2 (two) winners. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law.
Disclaimer: These posts and recipes are part of the week long event, #SummerDessertWeek but all opinions are 100% mine! We would like Thank our amazing sponsors: Dixie Crystals and Circulon. These wonderful sponsors provided the prize packs for our giveaways and also sent samples and products to the #SummerDessertWeek bloggers to use in their recipes.