Spiced Rum Milk Punch: Heat up your winter nights with this twist on the classic Southern Milk punch using spiced rum instead of bourbon. Don’t forget your dash of nutmeg.
I will admit that the name milk punch doesn’t sound all that inviting.
It’s kissing cousins to eggnog but I like to drink it WAY more than eggnog (though I do love eggnog in desserts).
Even though we think of it as a Southern classic (especially in New Orleans) it actually comes from the UK.
Traditionally you are going to see it made with bourbon.
However, I’m low on bourbon thanks to holiday baking and so I decided to make it with spiced rum.
And now I prefer my milk punch with spiced rum!
If you are allergic to dairy or are vegan/vegetarian feel free to use a nut milk.
The whole reason I chose this drink is because it’s white.
I’m trying wish snow to our area.
I know the rest of the country is getting it but we haven’t even had even a dusting of snow this winter and I’m pretty bummed about it.
In a few weeks it’s Groundhog’s Day and I really, really hope he see’s his shadow.
And then gives me some snow. 🙂
- 2 oz. Spiced Rum (I used the Costco brand)
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1-2 tsp. powdered sugar (depending on your sweet tooth)
- crushed ice
- freshly ground nutmeg
- In a cocktail shaker, combine the spiced rum, milk, and sugar with ice cubes and shake until frothy, about one minute.
- Strain into a double-old fashioned glass with crushed ice.
- Sprinkle with nutmeg and serve.