Cheddar Cheese Green Olive Nuggets: Easy to make Vegetarian appetizer of a cheddar cheese short dough wrapped around large green olives and baked until golden brown.
The holiday party season is winding down.
Why do we really only have get togethers around the holidays?
I mean sure we have Super bowl Sunday.
Then we don’t really gather and party again until the summer when we get patriotic.
A few quick appetizers, some beer and cheap wine, and a clean bathroom and you can have friends over. 🙂
Give it a try.
Just pick a random Saturday night and go for it.
Or heck, a Monday night.
We still have one more big holiday party coming.
New Years Eve.
We stay home because our neighbors like to shoot off fireworks and our dogs are not fans of that.
Also, I really prefer staying at home in my pj’s.
But I still want all the party food.
Lucky for me, running a blog, I get to make party food in advance. 🙂
These Cheddar Cheese Green Olive Nuggets are one of the oldest recipes I have….as an adult.
When I got my first apartment I thought for sure I would host parties all the time.
I had grandiose ideas and so I was always planning them in my head.
Way back in culinary school we had a teacher invite us to a mid-week get together.
There were a variety of nibbles and booze but nothing over the top like people seem to think you need at a party.
We all loved what he called olive nuggets.
He laughed when we all asked for the recipe.
And I get why he laughed.
These are super easy.
Sure the wrapping of the dough around the olive is time consuming but not hard to do.
Be sure not to overwork the dough.
You want these to be crispy and flake away like a good pie crust would.
I hope you make these for New Years Eve…and for your random party in March on a Tuesday for no reason at all.
- 4 oz. Unsalted Butter, at room temperature
- 8 oz. Cheddar cheese, finely grated
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 oz. jar Large Pimento Stuffed Green Olives
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Using a stand mixer with the paddle attachment cream the butter.
- Add the Cheddar cheese and mix until full combined.
- Add the flour and salt and mix until the mixture forms a dough.
- The dough will be crumbly but when you hold it in your fingers you should be able to pinch it into a dough.
- If dough is still too crumbly you can add a little bit of olive juice from the jar.
- Mold about a TBSP of dough around each olive. I don't really measure I just mold the dough around and try to get the same size each time. 🙂
- Be sure to enclose the olive completely.
- Arrange the nuggets 1-inch apart on a baking sheet.
- Bake in the middle rack for 15-25 minutes and they are a pale golden brown.
- Baking time all depends on how thick you wrapped the dough around the olive.
- Mine took the 25 but I made thicker ones.
- Makes 30 big nuggets to 50 smaller nuggets.