This Caramel Apple Toffee Cheesecake is a toffee cheesecake topped with sauteed apples and covered in homemade caramel sauce.
So when I started getting entries for HHDD#10 Cheesecake, I was surprised at how many people had never made a cheesecake before.
Though my own mother has never made one either!
So I was really touched that so many people entered the contest who had never made a cheesecake before.
Very brave and I hope you learned that making a cheesecake is not that hard to do!
I could not help but think of what cheesecake I would have made had I been able to enter the contest.
I had a lot of ideas.
After my Samoas cheesecake, several people asked me to make a Thin Mint cheesecake(I am actually thinking about making a Thin Mint cupcake instead)…but I wasn’t in a minty mood.
I thought about an orange mascarpone one…no mascarpone cheese in the apartment.
What I did have was apples though.
I love caramel apples.
So something involving caramel apples was it.
Caramel Apple Toffee Cheesecake to be exact.
I didn’t just want a plain cheesecake with caramel apples on top.
Luckily I had a bag of toffee bits…and I thought, “how perfect.”
I had really wanted to make a brown butter cookie base for this, but we had very little butter in the fridge(highly unusual).
So plain old graham cracker crust it was.
It’s a great day to buy my cookbook.
Want More Cheesecake Recipes?
- For the Cheesecake:
- 1 ¼ cups graham cracker crumbs
- 2 TBSP sugar
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 lbs cream cheese
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 TBSP flour
- 4 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¾ cup toffee pieces
- For the Topping:
- 3 Granny Smith apples
- 3 TBSP butter
- ¼ cup sugar
- For the Caramel:
- 1 ¼ cups sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- Combine the graham cracker crumbs, 2 TBSP sugar and melted butter.
- Press this into the bottom of a 10 inch springform pan.
- Bake crust for 10 minutes at 350F and set aside.
- Mix the cheese and sugar with paddle attachment on medium speed, about 3 minutes.
- Add in the flour on low speed.
- Add eggs one at a time, scraping down the sides and bottom after each egg.
- Add the egg yolks and vanilla.
- Fold in the toffee pieces.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Wrap aluminum foil on the outside of the ban and bake in a water batch at 350F for approximately 1 ½ hours or until a knife inserted should come out clean when the cake is done.
- Chill the cake overnight and then remove from the pan.
- Make the topping.
- Peel and core three apples(Granny Smith). Slice apples thinly.
- In a heavy saucepan melt 3 TBSP butter.
- Stir in ¼ cup sugar and cook until the sugar starts to caramelize.
- Add the apples and cook them until they are tender. Cool.
- Make the caramel.
- Pour the sugar into the center of a deep saucepan.
- Carefully pour 1/3 cup water around the walls of the pan, trying not to splash any of the sugar onto the walls.
- Do not stir; gently draw you finger twice through the center of the sugar, making a cross, to moisten it.
- Over high heat, bring to a full boil and cook without stirring, swirling the pan occasionally to even out the color, until the mixture is medium caramel in color, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Immediately turn off the heat and use a wooden spoon to slowly and carefully stir in the cream(it will bubble up and may splatter).
- Top cheesecake with apples. Drizzle caramel over top of the apples.
- Serves 14-16 people or 4 if you are in my family 🙂