Franken Berry Hand Pies: Franken Berry Hand Pies are made with Franken Berry cereal, cream cheese, sugar, and strawberry jam baked into mini pies and topped with glaze and cereal.
This post and recipe was created for #HalloweenTreatsWeek! I was sent products by some of the sponsor companies but as always opinions, bad grammar, and overuse of emojis are 100% mine.
In this post I used Dixie Crystals Sugar powdered sugar Adams Extract strawberry extract which were sent to me free by both companies for participating in a previous treat week.
But clearly I am using them now in these Franken Berry Hand Pies. 🙂
Growing up Halloween of course meant getting Halloween candy.
But for me it also meant getting Halloween cereal.
And Franken Berry.
Ironically Count Chocula is my favorite.
It’s ironic because I don’t really go for chocolate over other flavors.
And I usually always pick strawberry over chocolate.
Back then you could only get it on time a year and so it was a big treat.
Later on as I grew up I realized you could just order it online and that’s what I did.
Sadly year back the makers of Count Chocula and all the other monster flavors thought it would a good idea to make the cereal whole grain.
This was not a good idea.
It’s a sugary cereal people.
We know it’s not part of a balanced anything. 🙂
That’s not why you eat sugary cereal.
It did change the flavor of the cereal sadly and so I didn’t buy it nearly as much.
I do however buy it every Halloween.
Except I almost didn’t get to have Franken Berry this time around as it was no where to be found.
Everywhere I looked it was sold out and I had to end up buying it online.
But obviously I found some and I made some pies.
This was one of those recipes that I thought of the title well before I figured out what I was going to actually make.
Since most things don’t taste like Franken Berry in the natural world.
Because it’s not natural. 😀
So I came up with adding the cereal to cream cheese.
I suggest letting the cream cheese mixture rest overnight as the more it rests the more Franken Berry flavor gets in there.
I had no idea if these would be any good.
My husband really liked them but he loves artificial strawberry flavor like strawberry milk.
So these Franken Berry Hand Pies was right up his alley.
Want to see what the other bloggers are making today?Check out the amazing #HalloweenTreatsWeek recipes from our bloggers today!
- BloodShot Eyeball Chocolate Apple Slices from Big Bear’s Wife
- Halloween Sugar Cookie Bars from Fake Ginger
- Day of the Dead Mexican Hot Cocoa from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Gluten Free Graveyard Dirt Cake from Frugal & Fit
- Sugar Skull S’mores Cheesecake from Cookaholic Wife
- Jack Skellington Peanut Butter Cups from Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Hocus Pocus Potion from Jen Around the World
- Halloween Puppy Chow from Daily Dish Recipes
- Halloween Spooky Finger Cupcakes from Everyday Eileen
- Ghostly Halloween Brownie Cupcakes from Sweet Beginnings
- Halloween Chocolate Crack from Back To My Southern Roots
- Frosted Halloween Sheet Pan Cookies from Creative Southern Home
- Slime Lava Cakes from The Spiffy Cookie
- Hocus Pocus Cake Popsicles from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Dia de los Muertos Cake from Lemon Blossoms
- Ghoul’s Blood Cocktail from West Via Midwest
- Halloween Pretzel Owls from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Monster Mash Halloween Edible Cookie Dough from Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
- Haunted Gingerbread House from The Redhead Baker
- Black Cat Brownies from Jonesin’ For Taste
- Frankenberry Berry Hand Pies from Sweet ReciPEAs
- Haunted House Cupcake Tower from Pint Sized Baker
- Halloween Mummy Pizza Toast from Katie’s Cucina
- Ghostly Pumpkin Custards from My Sweet Zepol
- Cinnamon & Sugar Pretzel Bones from Savory Moments
- Bloody Good Vegan Cherry Chip Bundt Cake from The Baking Fairy
- Halloween Candy Kabobs from Intelligent Domestications
- Halloween Hand Pies from A Blender Mom
- Halloween Dessert Board from Books n’ Cooks
Want More Recipes? Try these:
- For the Pies:
- 2 9-inch refrigerated pie crust (you can use homemade but you are making a pie of a kids cereal...go store bought)
- 4oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar (I used Dixie Crystals)
- 1/3 cup crushed Franken Berry Cereal
- 1/3 cup strawberry jam
- For the Glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3-4 TBSP milk
- 1/2 tsp. Adams Strawberry Extract
- 2 drops pink food coloring
- crushed Franken Berry Cereal for garnish
1. For the Filling:
2. Using a stand mixer with a paddle attachment beat together the cream cheese, powdered sugar, and crushed cereal.
3. Beat until fully combined.
4. Place in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap and keep in fridge for at least one hour, preferably overnight. The longer in the fridge the more the cereal flavor gets into the cream cheese.
5. For the pies:
6. Roll out the dough circles slightly.
7. Using a 3-inch biscuit cutter, cut out as many circles as possible. When you run out of dough, gather all the scraps, roll out the dough to the same thinness as the original dough and make more circles. I got 28 (so 14 pies).
8. Place one half of the pie dough circles on parchment lined baking sheets.
9. Put one tsp. strawberry jam in the middle of each circle.
10. Put one TBSP of the cream cheese filling on top of the jam.
11. Top the circle with another dough circle.
12. Use your fingertips to press firmly around the pocket of filling, sealing the dough well on all sides.
13. Using a fork, crimp the dough around the sides.
14. When all the pies are prepared place them into oven and bake at 350F for 20-22 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
15. Let cool on pan while you prepare glaze.
16. Whisk together the powdered sugar, 3 TBSP milk, and extract until fully combine.
17. Add the food coloring and mix until all the color is evenly distributed.
18. If too thick add more milk.
19. Place a spoonful of glaze on top of each pie and then sprinkle crushed cereal on top for garnish.
Happy Halloween! It’s October which means it’s time for Spooky Season and this year’s #HalloweenTreatsWeek event! #HalloweenTreatsWeek is hosted by Angie from Big Bear’s Wife & its a creepy and haunting week-long event is filled with some amazingly wicked Halloween treats, recipes and some frightfully fun giveaways.
“When witches go riding, and black cats are seen, the moon laughs and whispers ‘tis near Halloween.”
For the 2nd annual #HalloweenTreatsWeek event we have 41 fantastically talented bloggers that are sharing their favorite Halloween recipes throughout the week! There are going to be over 160 Halloween themed recipes shared during this year’s #HalloweenTreatsWeek and we can’t wait for you to see them all! Follow the hashtag #HalloweenTreatsWeek on social media and look at the bottom of each post to see all of the Halloween recipes that we’re sharing!
Plus, don’t forget that we have 6 (six) great giveaways for you this week thanks to our amazing sponsors!
Scroll down to take a look!
Prize #1 — Dixie Crystals is giving away a “Dinner and Dessert Set” – ONE 6-Quart Cook & Carry Programmable Slow Cooker, a Pyrex mixing bowl set plus some fun Dixie Crystals items like a Dixie Crystal Apron and Cookbook!
Prize #2 — Adam’s Extract is giving away – 1 Gift Pack – including 4oz Adams Best, 1.5 oz Peppermint, 1.5oz Almond, 1 bottle vanilla cinnamon sugar, 1 bottle pumpkin pie spice
Prize #3 —Wilton is giving away a Texturra 7-Piece Bakeware Set
Prize #4 — Sweets and Treats Shop is giving away a large baking box of goodies! Sweets and Treats will send one lucky winner a large assortment of sprinkles and lines and other samples of their products!
Prize #5 — Treat Street USA is giving away a set of Holiday Treat Decorations (1 Gummy Assortment, 1 Marshmallow Snowman, 1 Toy Solider and 1 Gingerbread Men)
Prize # 6– Litehouseis giving away the following: 1 Litehouse® Honeycrisp Apple Cider, 1 Litehouse® Old Fashioned Caramel, 1 Litehouse® Pumpkin Spice Caramel, 1 Litehouse® Butterscotch Caramel & 1 Litehouse® Chocolate Dip, Snack Packs
Giveaway open to US Residents 18 years or older. All entries will be verified. No PO Boxes Please. Prizes will be sent directly from sponsors to winners, bloggers are not responsible for prizes. This giveaway runs from October 7th – October 13th at 11:59PM EST. Winners will be selected soon afterward and contacted by e-mail. Winners will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen. There are a total of 6 (six) prizes and therefore we will have a total of 6 (six) winners. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law.
Disclaimer: These posts and recipes are part of the week-long event, #HalloweenTreatsWeek but all opinions are 100% mine! We would like to Thank our amazing sponsors: Dixie Crystals, Adam’s Extract, Wilton, Sweets and Treats Shop, Treat Street USA and Litehouse! These wonderful sponsors provided the prize packs for our giveaways and also sent samples and products to the #HalloweenTreatsWeek bloggers to use in their recipes.