Liqueured Kahlua Frosted Brownies are spiked with Kahlua liqueur and topped with a boozy Kahlua fuge frosting to take them over the top.
Boy if some days you just need a stiff drink.
Some days you need chocolate.
So why not combine the two and make Liqueured Kahlua Frosted Brownies.
I being not that much of a home drinker.
Therefore I have no real hard alcohol at home, just liqueur used for baking.
Grand Marnier shots anyone (ew)?
So needless to say the only liquor I was having was going into a baked good.
These brownies can be used with any type of liqueur you would like.
I chose Kahlua.
But they would be tasty with Bailey’s Irish Cream.
Or the Grand Marnier you wouldn’t want to take shots of.
Or Chambord for a chocolate raspberry flavor.
Rumchata would be yummy.
Or how about nutty Amaretto?
This recipe makes a huge batch as I originally made it for a school picnic (for teachers not students).
This time around I made a half batch and had to bake them longer since I used a thicker pan.
The recipe given is for the larger batch of brownies.
To half it you literally just half the ingredients with the exception of two ingredients.
The eggs are a bit tricky.
In halving the eggs, I did two whole eggs and one egg yolk.
The other ingredient is the Kahlua. It calls for 1/3 of a cup.
So I used 2 TBSP when I halved it.
P.S. It’s a great day to buy my cookbook Holy Sweet!
Want More Brownie Recipes?
- For the Brownie:
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup plus 2 TBSP unsalted butter
- 5 large eggs
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup Kahlua
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chocolate chips/chunks
- For the Chocolate Buttercream Liqueured Frosting:
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 6 TBSP butter, at room temperature
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup Kahlua
- For the Brownies:
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Grease and flour a jelly roll pan. If you are halving the batch you can use a 9 by 13 inch pan.
- Melt butter and stir in cocoa powder. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl combine eggs, sugars, vanilla, and Kahlua.
- Beat for 5 minutes on medium-high speed.
- Add flour and chocolate/butter mixture, stirring until just combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips/chunks.
- Pour into pan and bake 25-30 minutes(if you are making the half batch in the 9 by 13 inch pan baking time increased to about 40 minutes).
- Brush hot brownies with liqueur, cover with plastic wrap and let set for 30 minutes before frosting.
- For the Frosting:
- Beat butter and powdered sugar together on medium high for about 3 minutes.
- Add cocoa powder and beat another 2 minutes.
- Add Kahlua liqueur and cream slowly until mixture is creamy.
- Spread on cooled brownies.