Cowboy 7 Layer Cookie Bar: A twist on the classic 7 layer bar inspired by Trader Joe’s Cowboy Bark. Oreo bottom, peanuts, almonds, toffee, pretzels, and chocolate.
I remember the first time it happened to me. The pain. The drama. The first time Trader Joe’s stopped carrying a product I really loved.
Back then it was mini meringues. They were so tiny that you could eat 100 of them for a serving. And when I was on WW…getting to eat 100 of anything sounds amazing (back then only two points). Plus they were tasty.
It was powerful to hold a whole bunch meringues knowing I could eat them all. 🙂
They still carry the large ones but it wasn’t the same.
Soon after that I learned that many others like me suffered from this Trader Joe’s affliction.
Now I don’t eat Cowboy Bark often but I have many, many a friend addicted to it.
Last year I made Cowboy Fudge and that was really good.
I was recently at a gathering and someone served good old fashion 7 Layer Bars, the kind I grew up with. I’m not sure what made me decide to try and make the Cowboy Bark into a layer bar but I’m glad I did.
An Oreo (or Jo Jo) cookie crumb base. Topped with sweetened condensed milk. Then toffee pieces, salted peanuts, almonds, chocolate chips, and pretzel thins.
If you are a Cowboy Bark junkie you will need to make these…especially since Trader Joe’s may stop making your bark one day with no warning.
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 ½ cups Oreo cookie crumbs
- 1 cup milk chocolate covered toffee pieces
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup peanuts (I used salted cocktail peanuts)
- 1 cup crush pretzel thins
- ½ cup almond slivers
- 1 (12 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Combine the Oreo cookie crumbs and melted butter in a bowl.
- Press into the bottom of a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
- Pour the sweetened condensed milk over the cookie layer.
- Sprinkle toffee pieces.
- Sprinkle almonds and peanuts.
- Sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Press down the pieces with wax paper or a fork.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Let cool and cut into squares.