Orange Walnut Roll: A sweet dessert bread made with a walnut, orange zest, and brown sugar filling, rolled up into swirly layers and baked. Then topped with an orange glaze.
I made a version of this Nut Roll years ago.
Which seems so long ago.
It was one of the first things I made in my then new house.
I still miss that kitchen to this day.
Mostly because it had a large island.
An island so large I’m pretty sure it’s bigger than my whole kitchen I have now.
I bring this up because you have to roll this out to 20-x-30.
Which I didn’t think about until I was in the middle of rolling it out and realized I didn’t have the counter space do it.
That resulted in me getting very creative.
And that resulted in a lot of swearing. 🙂
The original version I made did not have orange and it was pecan.
While I love me a pecan they are more expensive than walnuts and this recipes uses 4 cups of nuts.
I considered using dried cranberries as well and I think if you wanted to add them that would be tasty.
I’d add about a cup or so.
Chocolate chips would work with the orange and walnut too.
My filling always seems to run out a little and I’m okay with that.
It makes a nice crispy caramel nut edge that I love.
Be sure to test your yeast before you start to bake.
Nothing worse than finding out after all the ingredients are mixed together that your yeast isn’t fresh.
If you didn’t try the original version I definitely think you should make that or this version.
Both are yummy and a fun treat to make for relatives for breakfast.
- For the dough:
- 1 package( ¼ ounce) active dry yeast (I used Red Star Yeast)
- ¼ cup warm water(110-115F)
- ¾ cup warm milk(110-115F)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup shortening
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 3 to 3 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 4 cups ground or finely chopped walnuts
- zest of one orange
- 1 cup brown sugar (I used Dixie Crystals)
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract (I used Rodelle)
- milk(amount to be determined on consistency…I used about ¼ cup)
- For the Glaze:
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 TBSP orange juice
- For the dough:
- Using a stand mixer bowl, dissolve yeast in water.
- Add milk , sugar, shortening, salt, egg.
- And 1 ½ cups flour.
- Beat until smooth.
- Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (mine took the whole 3 ½ cups).
- Turn onto a floured surface, knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. You may also use the dough hook.
- Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Combine nuts, brown sugar, zest, butter, eggs, and vanilla extract.
- Add enough milk until mixture is spreading consistency.
- Punch dough down.
- Roll into a 30-inch by 20-inch rectangle. This takes a little time but needs to be rolled out thin.
- Spread filling to within 1-inch of edges.
- Roll up from one long side; pinch seams and ends to seal.
- Place on a greased baking sheet; shape into a tight spiral.
- Cover with a towel and let rise in a warm place for about 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Bake at 350F for 35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- For the Glaze:
- Whisk together the powdered sugar and orange juice until smooth.
- Pour over roll.