This Count Chocula Cream Pie features one of my all time favorite cereals in creamy chocolate cream pie form.
“This post and recipe was created for #HalloweenTreatsWeek!
I was sent samples by some of the sponsor companies but as always opinions are 100% mine.”
It’s the last day of Halloween Treats Week.
I hope you have enjoyed all the recipes this week.
If you didn’t see them all, I participated in all 6 days.
I already made something with Franken Berry cereal but Count Chocula is my preferred of the monster cereals.
Last year I made a layer cake using both of them.
This year it’s pie.
And not just any pie but cream pie.
Count Chocula Cream Pie.
There are some that thing chocolate pudding in a pie is a chocolate cream pie.
I am not one of those people.
I’m one of those that makes cream pies with pastry cream.
This pastry cream base uses milk that has been infused with Count Chocula cereal.
Then it’s mixed with a chocolate ganache.
Then it’s topped with a chocolate malted whipped cream.
I piled mine nice and high. Leslie Knope amount of whipped cream.
In the recipe I didn’t have you make that much.
But if you like whipped cream as much as I do then double the recipe.
If you want to make it even easier you can just buy an Oreo cookie crust.
You won’t get the Count Chocula in there but it does save a little time and energy.
Don’t for get to enter the giveaway and don’t forget it’s a great day to buy my cookbook.
Take a look more spooky Halloween recipes from our #HalloweenTreatsWeek Bloggers today:
Halloween Cookies & Bars:
- Meringue Witch Finger Cookies from BigBearsWife
- Pumpkin Snickerdoodles from Devour Dinner
- Shortbread Witches Fingers from The Flour Handprint
- Gingerbread Mummy Cookies from 4 Sons R Us
- Hocus Pocus Mini Pancake Cereal from Fresh Coast Eats
- Count Chocula Cream Pie from Sweet ReciPEAS
Sweet Halloween Treats:
- Individual Halloween Parfaits from Tastes of Homemade
- Radioactive Jell-O Shots from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Spiced Caramel Corn from Pastry Chef Online
- Halloween Strawberry Ghosts from I am a Honey Bee
- Easy Pumpkin Pudding Dip from Love and Confections
- For the Crust:
- 2 cups Oreo Cookies
- 1/2 cup Count Chocula Cereal
- 4 TBSP unsalted butter
- For the Pastry Cream:
- 1 cup Count Chocula
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/8 cup corn starch
- Pinch of salt
- For the Chocolate Ganache:
- 8 oz milk chocolate chips
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 2 TBSP unsalted butter
- 1 TBSP corn syrup
- pinch of salt
- For the Chocolate Malt Whipped Cream:
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 TBSP granulated sugar
- 1 TBSP unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 TBSP malted milk powder
- For the Crust:
- Add the Oreos and cereal to a food processor or blender and grind into fine crumbs.
- Add the Oreo/cereal crumbs to a bowl and combined with the melted butter.
- Pour the mixture into your greased pie pan and press into an even layer on the bottom and up the sides.
- Refrigerate it for 30 minutes before adding your filling.
- For the pastry cream:
- Place 1 cup Count Chocula in 1 cup whole milk. Let sit overnight in fridge.
- Remove the cereal from the milk.
- Measure out 1/2 cup of the Count Chocula milk.
In a saucepan, combine 1/2 cup Count Chocula milk and heavy cream. Bring to a simmer.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fit with the whisk attachment, combine the egg yolks, sugar, corn starch, and salt. Whisk on high until light and fluffy.
- Turn the mixer speed to medium and carefully pour the hot milk/cream mixture down the sides of the bowl into the egg yolk mixture. Whisk until fully combined.
- Transfer the custard back to the saucepan, scraping the sides of the bowl to get all the cornstarch into the saucepan. Whisk over medium/low heat until the mixture thickens, to the consistency of mayo.
- Transfer to a large bowl. Cover with plastic wrap, making sure that the wrap touches the surface of the cream to keep a skin from forming. Refrigerate until cold, about 2 hours.
- To make the Chocolate Ganache:
- Place the milk chocolate and pinch of salt in a medium sized heat safe bowl and set aside.
- Combine the butter, corn syrup, and cream in a saucepan over medium-high heat and bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Pour the cream mixture over the chocolate and allow to sit for about a minute.
- Whisk until the mixture is smooth.
- Cover with plastic wrap and have it come to room temperature.
- To assemble the pie:
- Spoon ¼ cup of the Chocolate Ganache into the crust and spread it evenly along the bottom and sides of the pie crust.
- Chill in freezer for 15 minutes.
- Stir 1 cup Chocolate Ganache into the pastry cream and whisk until mixture is smooth.
- Pour into the prepared ganache lined pie shell and spread it into an even layer.
- Chill the pie until it is set, about 2 hours.
- For the Chocolate Malt Whipped Cream:
- Place the sugar into a mixing bowl and add the whipping cream.
- Whisk just until the cream reaches stiff peaks.
- Add the unsweetened cocoa powder and the malted milk powder and whip until fully combined.
- Place whipped cream on top of cream pie and add extra Count Chocula for garnish if desired.
Happy Halloween! Spooky Season is here and it is time for 2020’s #HalloweenTreatsWeek event! #HalloweenTreatsWeek is a yearly Halloween blogging event that is hosted by Angie from Big Bear’s Wife & its a creepy and haunting week-long event is filled with some amazingly wicked Halloween treats, recipes and some frightfully fun giveaways.
“When witches go riding, and black cats are seen, the moon laughs and whispers ‘tis near Halloween.”
For the 3rd annual #HalloweenTreatsWeek event we have 30 hauntingly talented bloggers that are sharing their favorite Halloween recipes throughout the week! Follow the hashtag #HalloweenTreatsWeek on social media and look at the bottom of each post to see all of the Halloween recipes that we’re sharing!
Plus, don’t forget that we have some great giveaways for you this week thanks to our amazing sponsor and bloggers this year!
Prize #1 from Dixie Crystals
OXO Good Grips 3-Piece Stainless-Steel Mixing Bowl Set
Prize #2 from Angie at BigBearsWife
Ninja OP301 Foodi 9-in-1 Pressure, Slow Cooker, Air Fryer and More, with 6.5 Quart Capacity and 45 Recipe Book, and a High Gloss Finish
Prize #3 from Nicole Taggart’s Origami Owl Jewelry Bar
Origami Owl Locket and Halloween Charms
Prize #4 from Kathy at Lemon Blossoms
6 Quart Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker
Prize #5 from Terri at Our Good Life
Young Living’s Thieves Mints ($50 Value)
Pop a Thieves Mint into your mouth for cinnamint-fresh breath after meals. Made with naturally derived ingredients and free of artificial sweeteners, dyes, and preservatives, Thieves Mints are a choice you can feel good about. Created with Young Living’s Thieves essential oil blend, these mints deliver minty coolness with a hint of warm, sugar-free sweetness. Thieves Mints come in a conveniently sized container that is great to take on the go!!
Prize #6 from Julie at Back To My Southern Roots
1 Copy of – The Peanuts Family Cookbook: Delicious Dishes for Kids to Make with Their Favorite Grown-Ups
Prize #7 from Peabody of Sweet ReciPEAS
1 Copy of her new cookbook “Holy Sweet! 60 Indulgent Recipes for Bigger, Better Desserts”
Prize #8 from Megan of Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
1 Copy of her cookbook, “Incredible One-Pot Cooking: Easy, Delicious Recipes for Exciting Meals Without the Mess”
Prize #9 from Nicole of For the Love of Food Blog
1 Copy of “Friends: The Official Cookbook”
ONE (1) $75 Amazon gift card
Prize #11 from Shanaka from It’s Shanaka
ONE (1) $25 Amazon gift card
Prize #12 from Ashley from Cheese Curd In Paradise
Prize #13 from Amy from House of Nash Eats
ONE (1) $100 Amazon gift card
Giveaway open to US Residents 18 years or older.
All entries will be verified.
No PO Boxes Please.
Prizes will be sent directly from sponsors to winners, bloggers are not responsible for prizes.
This giveaway runs from October 5th – October 10th at 11:59PM EST. Winners will be selected soon afterward and contacted by e-mail.
Winners will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen.
There are a total of 14 prizes and therefore we will have a total of 14 winners.
No purchase necessary.
Void where prohibited by law.
Disclaimer: These posts and recipes are part of the week-long event, #HalloweenTreatsWeek but all opinions are 100% mine!
We would like to Thank our amazing brand sponsors: Dixie Crystals that provided a prize pack for our giveaways and also sent some samples and products to the #HalloweenTreatsWeek bloggers to use in their recipes.
We would also love to give a huge thanks to our Halloween Treats Week bloggers because a lot of them also donated prizes for the giveaways, including: Angie of BigBearsWife , Nicole of Nicole Taggart’s Origami Owl Jewelry Bar, Kathy of Lemon Blossoms, Terri of Our Good Life, Julie of Back To My Southern Roots, Peabody of Sweet ReciPEAS, Megan of Strawberry Blondie Kitchen, Nicole of For the Love of Food Blog, Michaela of An Affair from the Heart, Jennifer of Take Two Tapas , Michele of West Via Midwest, Shanaka of It’s Shanaka, Ashley of Cheese Curd In Paradise, and Amy from House of Nash Eats!