These Rice Krispie Treat Haunted Houses are a fun activity and treat for you and your kids to make. Perfect for a Halloween party.
“This post and recipe was created for #HalloweenTreatsWeek!
I was sent samples by some of the sponsor companies but as always opinions are 100% mine.”
Hi all and welcome once again to #HalloweenTreatsWeek!
You may recall that I have participated in this event for the last few years.
I used to rarely post any Halloween stuff so I had joined to kind of force myself to do some.
Well Angie runs such a great week that it made me start to love doing Halloween treats.
And now each year I not only participate in the two mandatory days but I make something for all six days!
This year I’m doing all six days as well!
We are starting off with a fun little activity/treat for kiddos.
Though I have no kiddos and this was fun to make as an adult.
So feel free to make these if you don’t have kids.
I’m not a fan of any scary Halloween things.
All my Halloween stuff has to be cute.
I’ve made Haunted Gingerbread Houses before but they are a lot of work and usually don’t taste that great.
Rice Krispies are way easier to make and way more tasty…at least to me.
I went round and round on trying to decide if I would make a black haunted house or a purple one.
Clearly I went with purple.
I tried to think of them as haunted houses in a Scooby Doo cartoon (those meddling kids). 🙂
If you can make regular rice krispie treats then you can make these.
And you can decorate them however you like.
I chose to use sprinkles.
As well as some pumpkins, ghosts, and gummy bats.
Take a look more spooky Halloween recipes from our #HalloweenTreatsWeek Bloggers today:
- Halloween Cookies & Bars:
- Cake Mix Monster Cookies from Big Bear’s Wife
- Candy Bar Cookies from Devour Dinner
- Oreo Mummy Cookies from Savory Experiments
- Easy Halloween Cake Mix Sprinkle Cookies from Family Around the Table
- Halloween Sugar Cookie Bars from House of Nash Eats
- Eye Love Chocolate Sugar Cookies from An Affair From the Heart
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars form Back To My Southern Roots
2. Halloween Cakes & Cupcakes:
- Bloody Broken Glass Red Velvet Cake from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Halloween Bats Oreo Cupcakes from Lemon Blossoms
- Pumpkin Cupcakes with Maple Frosting from The Flour Handprint
3. Halloween Brownies:
- Halloween Monster Chocolate Cake Brownies from JZ Eats
- The Scream Brownies from West Via Midwest
- Halloween Marshmallow Brownies from Sweet Beginnings
But wait there’s more…
4. Halloween Breakfast:
- Halloween Smoothie Bowl from Fresh Coast Eats
- Pumpkin Spice Donuts from Pastry Chef Online
- Halloween Pancakes from I Am A Honeybee
5. Halloween Drinks:
- Bloody Hot Cocoa from It’s Shanaka
6. Chilled Halloween Treats:
- Pennywise Ice Cream Float from Cheese Curd in Paradise
- Wicked Witch Popsicles from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
7. Halloween Pies:
- Halloween Mini S’mores Pudding Pies from For the Love of Food
- Jack Skellington Boo-berry Pie from Savory Moments
8. No Bake Desserts:
- Muddy Buddy Halloween Snack Mix from Tastes of Homemade
- Candy Corn Rice Crispy Treats from The Spiffy Cookie
- Kid-Friendly Halloween Snack Board from Love and Confections
- Rice Krispie Treat Haunted Houses from Sweet ReciPEAS
- Ghostly Snack Mix from Fake Ginger
- Spooky Pretzel Rods from Take Two Tapas
- Halloween Candy Bark from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Batty For Chocolate Dessert Cheese Ball from 4 Sons R Us
- Pumpkin Spice Cheesecake Dip from Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
- For the Rice Krispie Treats:
- 6 TBSP unsalted butter
- 16 ounces marshmallows
- 12 cups Rice Krispie Cereal
- 3 drops purple food coloring
- For the Icing:
- 2 1/2 TBSP meringue powder (you can find this at the grocery store or craft supply store)
- 1 1/2 tsp cream of tarter
- 1/3 cup warm water
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 drops orange food coloring
- For the Decorating:
- Halloween candy decorations such as candy pumpkins and bats
- Halloween Sprinkles
- In large saucepan melt butter over low heat.
- Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted.
- Remove from heat.
- Add cereal and purple food coloring. Stir until well coated.
- Using buttered spatula or wax paper evenly press mixture into 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan coated with cooking spray. Cool.
- Cut the treats the size you would like your house to be. T
- hen cut a square…cut that diagonal so that it makes the roof. How many you get is really going to depend on how big you cut your houses. I got five houses and some ends to eat as I decorated.
- For the Icing:
- Using a stand mixer with the paddle or whisk attachment, add the meringue powder, cream of tarter, and water. Then hand whisk the ingredients together to make sure there are no lumps.
- Add the powdered sugar and mix on low speed for about three minutes. Increase speed to medium and let mix for about 5-7 minutes. Add orange food coloring if using and mix until color is fully dispersed.
- This is a thicker icing for Haunted house making.
- Place icing in piping bag.
- Using the icing, attach the roof to the top of the house and let it dry a little.
- Continue to decorate as desired.
Happy Halloween! Spooky Season is here and it is time for 2020’s #HalloweenTreatsWeek event! #HalloweenTreatsWeek is a yearly Halloween blogging event that is hosted by Angie from Big Bear’s Wife.
And its a creepy and haunting week-long event is filled with some amazingly wicked Halloween treats, recipes and some frightfully fun giveaways.
“When witches go riding, and black cats are seen, the moon laughs and whispers ‘tis near Halloween.”
For the 3rd annual #HalloweenTreatsWeek event we have 30 hauntingly talented bloggers that are sharing their favorite Halloween recipes throughout the week!
Follow the hashtag #HalloweenTreatsWeek on social media and look at the bottom of each post to see all of the Halloween recipes that we’re sharing!
Plus, don’t forget that we have some great giveaways for you this week thanks to our amazing sponsor and bloggers this year!
Prize #1 from Dixie Crystals
OXO Good Grips 3-Piece Stainless-Steel Mixing Bowl Set
Prize #2 from Angie at BigBearsWife
Ninja OP301 Foodi 9-in-1 Pressure, Slow Cooker, Air Fryer and More, with 6.5 Quart Capacity and 45 Recipe Book, and a High Gloss Finish
Prize #3 from Nicole Taggart’s Origami Owl Jewelry Bar
Origami Owl Locket and Halloween Charms
Prize #4 from Kathy at Lemon Blossoms
6 Quart Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker
Prize #5 from Terri at Our Good Life
Young Living’s Thieves Mints ($50 Value)
Pop a Thieves Mint into your mouth for cinnamint-fresh breath after meals. Made with naturally derived ingredients and free of artificial sweeteners, dyes, and preservatives, Thieves Mints are a choice you can feel good about. Created with Young Living’s Thieves essential oil blend, these mints deliver minty coolness with a hint of warm, sugar-free sweetness. Thieves Mints come in a conveniently sized container that is great to take on the go!!
Prize #6 from Julie at Back To My Southern Roots
1 Copy of – The Peanuts Family Cookbook: Delicious Dishes for Kids to Make with Their Favorite Grown-Ups
Prize #8 from Peabody of Sweet ReciPEAS
1 Copy of her new cookbook “Holy Sweet! 60 Indulgent Recipes for Bigger, Better Desserts”
Prize #9 from Megan of Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
1 Copy of her cookbook, “Incredible One-Pot Cooking: Easy, Delicious Recipes for Exciting Meals Without the Mess”
Prize #10 from Nicole of For the Love of Food Blog
1 Copy of “Friends: The Official Cookbook”
ONE (1) $75 Amazon gift card
Prize #12 from Shanaka from It’s Shanaka
ONE (1) $25 Amazon gift card
Prize #13 from Ashley from Cheese Curd In Paradise
Prize #14 from Amy from House of Nash Eats
ONE (1) $100 Amazon gift card
Giveaway open to US Residents 18 years or older.
All entries will be verified. No PO Boxes Please.
Prizes will be sent directly from sponsors to winners, bloggers are not responsible for prizes.
This giveaway runs from October 5th – October 10th at 11:59PM EST. Winners will be selected soon afterward and contacted by e-mail.
Winners will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be chosen. There are a total of 14 prizes and therefore we will have a total of 14 winners.
No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law.
Disclaimer: These posts and recipes are part of the week-long event, #HalloweenTreatsWeek but all opinions are 100% mine!
We would like to Thank our amazing brand sponsors: Dixie Crystals that provided a prize pack for our giveaways and also sent some samples and products to the #HalloweenTreatsWeek bloggers to use in their recipes.
We would also love to give a huge thanks to our Halloween Treats Week bloggers because a lot of them also donated prizes for the giveaways, including: Angie of BigBearsWife , Nicole of Nicole Taggart’s Origami Owl Jewelry Bar, Kathy of Lemon Blossoms, Terri of Our Good Life, Julie of Back To My Southern Roots, Peabody of Sweet ReciPEAS, Megan of Strawberry Blondie Kitchen, Nicole of For the Love of Food Blog, Michaela of An Affair from the Heart, Jennifer of Take Two Tapas , Michele of West Via Midwest, Shanaka of It’s Shanaka, Ashley of Cheese Curd In Paradise, and Amy from House of Nash Eats!